Historic Name: |
Kinnear, Roy, House |
Common Name: |
|
Style: |
American Foursquare- Colonial |
Neighborhood: |
Queen Anne |
Built By: |
|
Year Built: |
1909 |
|
Significance |
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places. |
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance. |
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local). |
|
This simple Foursquare house is notable for its very elaborate entry, featuring oversized consoles (carved brackets), Corinthian pilasters and floral garlands. These Colonial Revival details are combined with Craftsman-influenced stickwork and rafter tails on the roof and dormer. The original permit indicating the architect and original owner has not been located, but a 1913 permit for garage construction cites Roy Kinnear as the owner. Kinnear was a member of one of Queen Anne’s most prominent families. His father, George Kinnear, platted the south slope of Queen Anne, built several notable structures (including the landmark De La Mar Apartments) and donated Kinnear Park to the city. He named Roy Street, at the foot of the Counterbalance, for his son, who was born in 1881. When this house was built, Roy was treasurer of the G. Kinnear Company, an investment firm.
The house was purchased in the late 1930s by Ward Walker, president of the Home Oil Company and assistant vice-president of Peoples National Ban. He and his wife Francel lived here until the late 1940s, when the house was purchased by Warren Crawford, a dentist, and his wife Oleva. Mrs. Crawford remained here into the 1970s, following her husband’s death in the 1960s. The house was then purchased by Frederick and Karen Torp. The house appears to be largely intact, although in 1976 a rear deck was enclosed for a solarium and a swimming pool was added
|
|
|
Appearance |
This house is a Foursquare in form, with a hipped roof and a gabled dormer on the front. The roof has deep eaves with extended rafter tails. The dormer has stucco cladding, stickwork, carved bargeboards, exposed beams and a pair of one-over-one windows. Cladding is shingles, with a water table above the conrete foundation. There is no porch, but several concrete stairs approaching the front door. Above the door is a gabled pediment supported by oversized consoles, each with a wreath and floral ornament. Flanking this are large lattice-patterned sidelights, with floral garlands in the panel above. Beyond these are two pairs of Corinthian pilasters. A dentilled cornice connects the entire ensemble, from the outer pilasters to the pediment in the center. The entry is flanked by two one-over-one windows; three similar windows, with shutters, are on the second floor, and on the other elevations. |
|
|