Historic Name: |
|
Common Name: |
|
Style: |
Queen Anne - Cottage |
Neighborhood: |
Central Area |
Built By: |
|
Year Built: |
1901 |
|
Significance |
|
This is a fairly typical example of Queen Anne cottage architecture, although the structure’s design integrity has been somewhat compromised at times by alterations to the siding and some very minor detail modifications.
This is one of approximately 2,200 houses that are still extant out of more than 5,000 that were built by the end of 1906 in Seattle’s Central Area, Eastlake, First Hill, Leschi, Madison Park, Madrona, and North Capitol Hill neighborhoods.
A complete permit history, and a complete record of ownership and occupation have not yet been prepared for this property. The structure appears to have been owned by Janet C. Clegg from about 1915 until at least 1937. The current owners, Ronalee S. and Kenneth E. Wear, apparently live three blocks away at 719 19th Avenue.
BIBLIOGRAPHY
King County GIS Center Property Report (http://www5.kingcounty.gov/kcgisreports/property_report.aspx; accessed July 12, 2008)
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972) Washington State Archives
|
|
|
Appearance |
This is a one story, clapboard, shingle and vertical board siding clad, wood frame single-family residence on a concrete block foundation, with no basement.
The somewhat irregular plan is capped by a hip roof with intersecting front-facing, pent enclosed, shingle clad gable. Both the irregular footprint and the roof configuration are typical features of Queen Anne style houses. The moderate overhangs have enclosed soffits.
The windows and doors are characterized by patterns and details customarily associated with the Queen Anne style. The variety of siding materials, and the use of these materials, together with the front facing window bay, to reduce the apparent extent of the wall surfaces, is also typical of that style. The slender Tuscan porch column and associated railing, and the built-up facia that extends the porch entablature around the house, add a Free Classic touch to the design. The size of the structure, and the fact that it is limited to one story, make it a cottage.
This house was built in 1901.
The front door has been replaced in what appears to be the existing opening. The King County Property Record Card suggests that the house was clad with asbestos shakes at some point in its history. Although concrete/asbestos siding is still visible at the south elevation, it appears this material is being removed in stages, and the cladding at the other elevations appears now much as it did when the house was surveyed by the Assessor in 1937. The King County Property Record Card suggests that the foundation was modified with the addition of concrete block about 1956.
It is unclear if the attic has been finished; both the King County Property Record Card and the King County GIS Center Property Report indicate that there is only one floor.
|
|
|
Status: |
|
Classication: |
Building |
District Status: |
|
Cladding(s): |
Shingle, Shingle - Concrete/Asbestos, Vertical - Boards, Wood, Wood - Clapboard |
Foundation(s): |
Concrete - Block, Other |
Roof Type(s): |
Gable, Hip |
Roof Material(s): |
Asphalt/Composition-Shingle |
Building Type: |
Domestic - Single Family |
Plan: |
Irregular |
Structural System: |
Balloon Frame/Platform Frame |
No. of Stories: |
one |
Unit Theme(s): |
Architecture/Landscape Architecture |
Integrity |
Changes to Plan: |
Intact |
Changes to Windows: |
Slight |
Changes to Original Cladding: |
Slight |
Changes to Interior: |
Unknown |
|
Major Bibliographic References |
|
|