Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2003 E EATON PL E / Parcel ID 215890--0230 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: McJannet Residence Common Name: 42 Chapman Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1931
 
Significance
This residence, located in the Glenlake Park plat, is a good and generally intact example of the Tudor Revival style. Built in 1931, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. It is similar to the house next door at 2005 E. Eaton Place, and may have been designed and built by Herman Austin and Frank Fowler, who were responsible for the houses at 2007 and 2011 E. Eaton Place. The earliest known owners of this house were Roscoe N. & Rose McJannet in 1938; he was a manager at Seattle Ice Co.. Their  ownership continued at least through 1958.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html
Polk directories of Seattle, 1938-1958.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

 
Appearance
This 2-story brick-clad house has a complex roofline with a tall side gable roof and a prominent asymmetrical front gable on the east end of the facade; this extends down to cover an arched opening to the side yard. The entry is in the center, in an enclosed projecting bay with a front gable roof and an arched opening facing the front; the entry faces west. Above this is a small shed dormer. East of the entry is a large three-sided bay window, added at an unknown date. West of the entry is a three-part window with plain glass in a wide surround.  The east elevation has a large clipped-gable dormer with stained clapboard cladding. The basement garage is beneath the east end. An exterior brick chimney is on the west elevation.

Detail for 2003 E EATON PL E / Parcel ID 215890--0230 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2003 E EATON PL E / Parcel ID 215890--0230 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Dec 01, 2014
App v2.0.1.0