Significance |
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places. |
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance. |
|
Built in 1912, this building was purchased by William C. and Nellie Freeburn in July of 1924. The Freeburn’s remained in the house through 1940. Mr. Freeburn was president of the Pyramid Packing Company. Richard Thorgrimson resided in the building by 1943 through 1965. The building underwent minor interior remodels in 1951 and 1962. In May of 1965, the D. R. Fisher Company purchased the building for $23,500. Bennett I. Fisher II purchased the building in July of 1965 for $23,800 and he remained through 1968.
Charles P. Dose and his son, architect Charles C. Dose, platted the Dose Addition in 1906 on ten acres along South Walker Street between Thirth-First Avenue South and Lake Washington. Charles P. Dose was a German immigrant and a real estate businessman and banker originally based in Chicago. In 1871, Mr. Dose and his partners, Fricke Brothers, purchased a 40-acre tract of property in Seattle’s future Mount Baker District on Lake Washington. In 1898, he moved from Chicago to Seattle with his family.
Charles C. Dose designed houses in the subdivision. The Dose family lived in one, and then sold it and built another. The Dose’s first house in the plat was a cottage at Thirty-First Avenue South and South Walker Street.
The Dose Addition had the same restrictions on non-white ownership as Mount Baker Park. The Dose family, especially Mrs. Charles C. (Phoebe) Dose, was actively involved in the creation of the Mount Baker Park Improvement Club.
The Mount Baker neighborhood comprises two north-south tending ridges located southeast of downtown Seattle along Lake Washington. Initial development of the area occurred relatively late, post-1900, following the construction of the Rainier Avenue Electric Street Railway in the 1890s. York Station on Rainier Avenue and the Dose Addition were developed earlier than the Mount Baker Park Addition, platted in 1907 by the Hunter Tract Improvement Company. The Mount Baker Park Addition represents the core of the neighborhood and is its primary character-defining feature. Mount Baker Park is one of Seattle’s earliest planned residential communities that successfully integrated the natural environment and a relatively exclusive residential neighborhood in its layout of lots, streets, boulevards, and parks. The houses, primarily built between 1905 and 1929, reflect a variety of eclectic and Northwest-based architectural styles, and include designs by many prominent local architects.
Other important influences were the streetcar connection with downtown Seattle, the integration of local parks and boulevards into the Olmsted system, the construction of Franklin High School in 1912, and the building of the Mount Baker tunnel and Lacey V. Murrow Floating Bridge to Mercer Island in 1940. Today this middle-to-upper income neighborhood remains predominantly residential, is home to an ethnically diverse population, and retains much of its planned character.
|
|