Summary: This Tip is intended to provide an overview of how to get a certificate of occupancy for your building. Before most new buildings or structures can be used or occupied in Seattle, it must have a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O). This certificate indicates that the project complies with the regulations for occupancy and activity required by the Seattle Building Code (Section 109). You generally cannot get a change in occupancy classification until the building official has issued a C of O.

Date Revised: 10/16/2023

See all Tips